The Benefits of CBD Oil: Fact or Fiction?
There have been several claims about Cannabidiol (CBD) oil being effective in managing symptoms of various ails. There has also been some skepticism regarding such claims, and several studies on the benefits of CBD have yielded conflicting results.
However, there are some benefits which are supported by strong, scientific evidence. Studies suggest the CBD compound relieves a number of conditions, including anxiety, epilepsy, chronic pain, and even cancer-related symptoms.
In fact, the cannabis crop, in general, has been touted as highly medicinal by research and patients alike. For the most part, CBD seems the most accepted cannabinoid by the medical community as a legitimate medicinal substance.
CBD is one of the two most abundant cannabinoids – the other being the psychoactive Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC – of the more than 113 contained in the cannabis plant. It’s also one of the most studied components of the drug for medicinal purposes. It has demonstrated an unmatched multitude of therapeutic properties.
CBD also presents a safe, non-psychoactive option for those looking to explore the therapeutic benefits of cannabis without getting engulfed by its mind-altering effects. Perhaps this particular fact is chief among the reasons why CBD oil receives more acceptance by the medical community than THC-dominant products.
How CBD takes effect in the body
CBD, as well as some other cannabinoids, present in the cannabis plant, interacts with the body via the endocannabinoid system – a system responsible for homeostasis, sleep, appetite, and a host of other bodily functions. The endocannabinoid system sprawls across the digestive, immune, nervous and reproductive systems.
The cannabinoids in the cannabis plant mimic the cannabinoids which the body produces; to fuel the activities of the endocannabinoid system. In essence, cannabinoids from the cannabis plant are supplements, that help restock some of the body’s most vital elements. Furthermore, since the endocannabinoid system is interlocked with nearly every system in the body, cannabis is often claimed to be a panacea that can help treat nearly all bodily ails.
While such an assertion remains theoretical, there’s substantial evidence that cannabinoids; especially CBD, modulate neurotransmission, inflammation, mitochondrial functions and metabolism. These cannabinoids have such a wide range of medical applications and Canada should lead the way in new, scientific research into this budding field.
6 Established Benefits of CBD Oil
- Pain Management: This is one of the most widely reported benefits of CBD oil. There have been numerous studies on this topic, shedding light on the pain relief potentials of CBD. One such study, published in the Journal of Experimental Medicine, showed that CBD reduces inflammation in mice and rats. Another investigation in 2008 showed that CBD can help mitigate pain without any adverse effects. These studies go a long way in verifying reports of reduced inflammation resulting from the use of CBD oil.
- Seizure Management: The anti-seizure properties of CBD finally got some much-deserved attention from the scientific community in recent times. This occurred after the emergence of countless cases – including high-profile ones – where CBD was used to effectively arrest seizures. Several other studies have now corroborated claims of the anti-seizure properties of CBD. In one such study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, participants with Dravet Syndrome (a rare type of epilepsy with seizure that are triggered by a fever) that were placed on CBD experienced a 38.9 median reduction in their seizure frequency
- Enhances Gut Health: CBD has also been shown to help meliorate intestinal permeability by healing leaky, tight junctions of the intestine. It also helps heal irritable bowel syndrome by minimizing spasmodic activity.
- Anti-Anxiety Properties: CBD has been used to treat countless cases of mental illnesses, including cases of anxiety disorders. In a study conducted by the University of São Paulo, CBD was found to reduce subjective anxiety. The researchers were quite upbeat about the anti-anxiety properties of CBD.
- Anti-Cancer Properties: Several studies have also proved the capabilities of CBD to catalyze the destruction of tumor cells in colon cancer and leukemia. Studies also show that CBD can forestall the multiplication of cancer cells in cervical cancer
- Forestalls Diabetes: There have also been significant results from studies on how cannabis influences diabetes. In a study published in Neuropharmacology involving non-obese, diabetes-prone mice, only 32% of mice placed on CBD contracted diabetes, whereas 100% of those who weren’t on CBD contracted diabetes.
Final Words — Will CBD Oil Work for You?
With the available scientific support, there are not many arguments that support the position that CBD lacks medicinal benefits. From governments, scientists, those in the health industry and the patients themselves; a number of groups seem to have accepted the benefits of CBD oil.
Nonetheless, the substance isn’t perfect – nothing ever is. There are some side effects that a user may experience, albeit minor. However, the majority who resort to cannabis products – not just CBD oil – report a lack of side effects and boast of its beneficial effects; while in contrast, those that do report some minor side effects still hail the plant as a great treatment for a number of ails.
All that is left to do is try CBD products, to experience the miraculous results yourself! Shop from our store to find a variety of cannabis products, from verified, Canadian online dispensaries today!
Have any questions or comments about the miraculous properties of CBD oil? Please leave us a detailed message below in the comments!