In several parts of the world, the legality of cannabis is still being debated. In the United States, 37 states passed Medical Marijuana Law (MML), while 19 states legally use marijuana for recreation. Moreover, it can be consumed in various ways, including smoking, vaporizing, and taking edibles. Some of the most common cannabis products are tinctures, topical, and edibles.
Among the most recent and innovative marijuana products are cannabis-infused drinks. Keep reading to learn more.
What Are Cannabis-Infused Beverages?
Cannabis-infused beverages that fall under edibles are the most recent additions to the industry. These beverages are touted as a healthier and more discreet alternative to smoking. They come in different forms, including:
- Caffeinated beverages
- Sparkling water
- Flavoured seltzers
- Juice drinks
In the states where cannabis is legal, you can purchase CBD-infused beverages from licensed dispensaries online or physically. Today, it’s more popular to order your marijuana products online, also known as mail-order marijuana (MOM). However, ensuring its legal in your state before shipping these products is crucial.
How Does A CBD – Infused Beverage Work?
Cannabis drinks are absorbed through the digestive system and the liver. This mode of consumption takes longer to show effects than smoking. The effects of a cannabidiol beverage can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to set in. This depends on the person’s metabolism and the amount of marijuana in the drink, among other factors.
Dosing is a critical factor to consider when it comes to cannabis beverages. Most Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) drinks taste great, and you can easily ingest too much. Additionally, you may overindulge if you aren’t acquainted with its strength, which can increase the risk of unpleasant side effects. Hence, starting with a small dose is advisable before increasing it gradually.
However, nanotechnology is being employed by many CBD-infused drink manufacturers to create water-soluble THC and increase dosing predictability and accuracy. The THC in most beverages may vary from as low as 2 mg to as high as 100 mg.
How Are Cannabis Drinks Made?
Marijuana beverages have undergone a thorough makeover since becoming an industry favourite, thanks to the process of emulsification. The market only recently caught up with this trend. Emulsification allows cannabinoids to dissolve in water, enabling their infusion into water-based solutions.
The term ‘hydrophobic’ best describes cannabinoids’ inherent nature of becoming practically insoluble in water. When mixed with water, these stubborn molecules stick together rather than become evenly dispersed, resulting in non-uniform contents. This poses a tremendous obstacle to cannabis beverage portions when predicting portions and overall consistency.
However, emulsifying agents provide the perfect solution to this problem, much like mixing water- and oil-based ingredients in cooking. These agents coat the cannabinoids with a hydrophilic or water-friendly coating, encapsulating them within micelles. In these formations, the hydrophobic cannabinoids cluster inside the micelle to avoid contact with the water-based solution. On the other hand, the hydrophilic aspects of the emulsifying agents bond with the water, forming a protective shield.
Beverage producers then employ various creative techniques, such as pressure or sound waves, to break down these micelles into smaller particles. This evenly distributes them throughout the beverage, effectively rendering the cannabinoids soluble in water-based solutions. The versatility of marijuana-infused beverages has expanded tremendously because of the remarkable potential of emulsification.
The Benefits Of Consuming Cannabis Drinks
These beverages have been linked to various benefits, which include the following:
- Calm anxiety: Most users like using cannabis because of its calming effect. Cannabis beverages aren’t any different when it comes to minimizing anxiety. Most consumers credit the product’s ability to make them feel relaxed and comfortable in social situations.
- Help resolve insomnia: The calming capabilities of cannabis beverages work when you need better sleep quality, too. If you have insomnia, try taking a cannabis drink right before bed. It’ll make you more relaxed and allow you to dose off easily.
- Convenient for non-smokers or users that dislike edibles or vaping: Over the years, marijuana has evolved into multiple forms, allowing users to smoke, eat or drink products infused with it. An example is cannabis drinks, which provide non-smokers and users that dislike edibles or vaping an alternative to THC consumption. In that regard, cannabis beverages are convenient.
These are just some benefits of cannabis. Aside from these, it’s also conveniently consumed, ideal for those who don’t like the smell of marijuana.
The Demerits Of Consuming Marijuana Beverages
There are various drawbacks to consider when it comes to CBD-infused drinks.
- They Take Longer To Kick In: These beverages take longer to kick in than smoking or vaping. This makes gauging the appropriate dosage difficult. In some instances, the effects can last longer, making it a problem for users who may need to sober up for an important event like a meeting.
- They Have Inconsistent Potency: Like edibles, cannabis drinks may have inconsistent potency, which could lead to overconsumption and potential adverse health consequences.
Overall, while there may be some potential benefits to consuming marijuana-infused drinks, users must take the appropriate doses. Knowing the potential drawbacks before trying these products is also key to user safety. As with any substance, responsible use and caution should always be at the forefront of decision-making.
Side Effects Of Using CBD-Infused Beverages
- Dizziness: The most common side effect of consuming cannabidiol-infused drinks is dizziness. This is due to the delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) found in marijuana. THC decreases blood pressure, causing dizziness or lightheadedness.
- Drowsiness: You may also feel drowsy after consuming cannabis beverages due to the THC that creates a calming effect, making you relaxed or sleepy.
- Increased Hunger: Users of these products may also experience increased hunger. This is because THC increases appetite levels and can result in overindulgence in food.
- Impaired Motor And Cognitive Abilities: Consuming CBD-infused beverages impairs your motor skills and reduces cognitive abilities. Therefore, it’s recommended that you refrain from driving or operating heavy machinery after consumption.
While cannabis drinks may offer a new and unique way to consume marijuana, it’s essential to know the potential side effects and to indulge responsibly. Furthermore, if you use marijuana for medical purposes, consult your primary physician before taking these beverages.
Cannabis beverages have shown great potential in the market. For starters, the variety in which they come makes them a favourite among consumers. Additionally, incorporating nanotechnology to improve and predict doses accurately proves this THC product has great potential. Furthermore, the drinks can relieve stress, calm anxiety, and resolve insomnia, and these health benefits make them more appealing.
However, the demerits and side effects of CBD-infused beverages are worth considering. For instance, these drinks take longer to kick in, and the effects can sometimes last too long. Thus, they may not be the best option if you want a fast-acting product. Similarly, you’re prone to dizziness, drowsiness, and impaired motor and cognitive skills. When partaking in marijuana beverages for the first time, consider taking it slow until you master your appropriate dose.
Last Updated on September 13, 2023 by Bud